Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Backstory: How Far Along Am I? Seriously

If you have no interest in yucky things like menstrual cycles and ovulation and conception dates and sexy times, then you can just go ahead and skip this post. But if you're a mama, or gonna be a mama, or fear being a mama, these are things that matter! So don't be squeamish.

The original due date was May 23. That's what I painstakingly stitched onto a little white onesie which I mailed to my mama and listened to her open and cry about over the phone. And now mom can just dump that sucker in the trash for all it's worth (she NEVER would!)--we have a new due date!

June 8th.

I don't believe it.

See folks, Cara's "little monthly friend," her "Aunt Flo," her "Uncle T.O.M." if you will, was very very dependable. She was even in a U of M study once where she had to chart her ovulation every month, and lo and behold, it came on Day 14. That's 14 days after TOM arrives. Like clockwork, ov-day came on exactly day 14.

One can only become pregnant from intercourse within, oh, 5 days before or after ov-day. Ish. I guess it depends.

And that means a June 8th due date would have a corresponding Day O' Conception of... two days before the next visit from TOM. Day 28. Apparently I ovulated a full TWO WEEKS LATE.

And I am like clockwork! Can I not trust my body?! Have I been BETRAYED?!?!? FOOLED?! Are my ovaries laughing at me, snickering to each other about how I never saw it coming?! How am I supposed to be surviving on Natural Family Planning methods if my Very Reliable Cycle is going to go all crazypants on me???

I just don't believe it. Not when we had a Silly Accidental Slip approximately 2 weeks and 3 days prior (around Day 11). In case you wanted to know way too much about our "special times together," congrats.

So we can chalk this baby situation* up to 1) Me being dumb and not noticing we were in the danger zone, or 2) My body crapping out on me. Hmmmmmm...

June 8th actually sounds like an okay due date! Woo!

* For clarification, I don't mean "situation" in a bad way, like I've gotten myself "in trouble" 1950's-style. We are SO excited about this baby and we already love it to pieces! Hurrah for baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment